Saturday, May 5, 2007

No. 0015 - Life Expectancy Calculator

This morning I've made a determination to pay more attention at my health, so I started to look more into what are some of the health benefits that my employer has to offer. I came across this online test where you can input your health info and then it will give you an assessment of where you stand and what you can do to improve your health. But one thing that really surprised me about this test is that it also asked about my driving habits and mileage (just in case you are interested, if I decide to drive the speed limit for the rest of my life, I can increase my life expectancy by 1.98 years). Then it hits me, wouldn't it be nice if we can calculate how long we are going to live by considering all aspects of life: type of job we do, where we live, how many kids we're going to have, what kind of foods we like, the kind of risks that we like to take and etc. Imagine how useful such a report can be. From a single's perspective, I think such a report should be required before a marriage proposals, or maybe even on your first date. One might say "considering I'm going to die 5 years before you, you sure you still would want to date me?" or as for a proposal case, an eager fiance might say "if you still want to marry me, then we really need to start some sort of savings to take care of you during those 5 years that I'm DEAD before you DIE too!" Yes, death is not a topic that most would find entertaining to talk about, but the bottom line is that it is hard to predict and it will happen to all of us. That is why a "life expectancy calculator" can come in handy to take out all uncertainties so we can make better decision in life and plan up to the day we die!

Digression: I'm currently 27.25 years old but I'm really living at 27.97 so I'm technically dying .72 years ahead of myself. . . I definitely need some improvement here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find this life expectancy assessment? I want to play with it.

Patrick said...

Well, this medical center that is associated with my health care network sent me this invitation to do this thing so it required passwords and stuff but I'll send you the link and password if you want to play with it.

Anonymous said...

Here ya go: http://gosset.wharton.upenn.edu/mortality/perl/CalcForm.html

Anonymous said...

Here is a MUCH better calculator:
http://www.livingto100.com/
The first one told me 86, the second one told me 91.

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like I'm heading out around age 89.

Anonymous said...

I was told 89 but I have an issue with it so I'm going to add 3 years and after I get married I can add another 3 years and I can add another 2 years by taking aspirin every night, interesting. I have the possibility to live 97 years but I'm sure I'll be around for longer than that.

Anonymous said...

I hope I die before I get old....

Anonymous said...

Lillian is driving me to an early grave. If I could downgrade my life to mildly stressful and only work 8 hour days, I would live for 10 more years. As is, I'm destined to die at 85. I guess that's good and old. Or, I could keep Lillian and exercise 5 days a week. But who's going to do that?

Anonymous said...

Well, it says 91 for me. I'm sure I won't live that long though. This life expectancy calculator doesn't ask anything about activities that really drive up adrenaline (regular exercise doesn't count...I'm talking like sky diving or downhill racing). I wonder of stress and high adrenaline activity have the same affect on your body?