Tuesday, April 3, 2007

No. 0004 - "ish" Watch

Often time I would ask people "When are we meeting?" In response, some would say "5 -ish". The concept of -ish in time keeping is really creeping into day to day conversation. And tonight, for the first time, I was given a response of "7:45 ish". What that tells me is that the tolerance in time telling have decreased from 60 mins to 5 mins. If that is the case, watch maker should really consider this. Still print in the traditional numbers 1 thru 12 at their perspective location on a watch. But instead of putting in five tiny-ier ticks inbetween the numbers, just print in "-ish". I honestly think that would accommodate real well with the emersion of the "-ish" time telling culture.

4 comments:

Loki said...

I.S.H. Watch Repairs is the name of my company!!

http://ishwatch.blogspot.com/

lol

Loki said...

www.ishwatch.co.uk

Unknown said...

Back in '97 I purchased for my girlfriend an "ish watch" with hours noted as 1ish, 2ish etc and no minute or second hand. I've stumbled upon your comments because the watch is now dead and I'm searching for a replacement in time for Christmas. I think I bought the last one in Argos, but now I can find no mention of them ever existing.

Unknown said...

http://www.thecornishstore.com/shopp38746928

Found one. This does have a minute & second hand though, which is a bit of a shame as it means that it shows the exact time, as opposed to an "ish". This store has His & Hers watches, and also a wall clock.